SNMP traps from client to master fails
Aslam Abbas
2016-02-12 13:38:18 UTC
Hi All,

I am trying to setup SNMP monitoring in my network.

SERVER : 10.21.8.109 CONFIG:
https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/8uMjWUZsfl
CLIENT1 : 10.21.10.10 CONFIG:
https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/YGeUhOROoV
CLIENT2 : 10.21.10.11 CONFIG: (same as CLIENT1, and let us just
concentrate on SERVER and CLIENT1)

All are running Cent OS. All have net-snmp-utils and net-snmp installed.
I tested the basic commands (GET , SET , WALK,...) in all systems and it
is working fine.
*snmpd* and *snmptrapd* are running on both SERVER and CLIENT1
I issued a *snmpget* from SERVER-->CLIENT1 and CLIENT1-->SERVER to see if
they could communicate, and it works fine.

Now coming to the problem:

* 1. *IN
* SERVER:*
I issued a trap to the localhost. It got logged in /var/log/messages. (of
SERVER)

* $snmptrap -v 2c -c public localhost ""
NET-SNMP-EXAMPLES-MIB::netSnmpExampleHeartbeatNotification
netSnmpExampleHeartbeatRate i 321321*
I tried the same command in CLIENT1 (trap issued to localhost), it got
logged in /var/log/messages (of CLIENT1).

* 2. IN CLIENT1:*
Now I issued a trap to SERVER, hoping that it would get logged in
/var/log/messages.
(of SERVER)
* $snmptrap -v 2c -c public 10.21.8.109 ""
NET-SNMP-EXAMPLES-MIB::netSnmpExampleHeartbeatNotification
netSnmpExampleHeartbeatRate i 321321*

But it was not logged. My understanding is trap is send to SERVER and
*snmptrapd* in SERVER is responsible for logging it. So what happened there?

Well maybe *snmptrapd* is not listening properly. So I added the
following directive to *snmptrapd.conf* (of SERVER) so that SERVER listens
to CLIENT1
*snmpTrapdAddr udp:10.21.10.10:162
<http://10.21.10.10:162>,udp6:[0:0:0:0:0:FFFF:0A29:0A0A]:162*

I tried step 2, again. Same issue.

I have spent 2 days trying to solve this. Can anybody help? What am I
missing?

Thanks and Regards,
Aslam
Pranesh Kulkarni
2016-02-13 08:48:03 UTC
I think you have missed the line in client 1
/etc/snmp/snmd.conf
trap2sink SERVER_IPDDR public

OR

firewall on server for port 162
[...]