correlation of MIB files and MIB support on SNMP agents
Martin T
2015-07-08 15:30:06 UTC

I read a product pamphlet from DPS Telecom where they had following Q&A section:

-----
Q: I want to use a device feature that isn’t described in the MIB.
What can I do?

A: You can ask the vendor to extend the MIB to include this feature.
DPS Telecom has extended its MIB to support client needs. But you need
to understand that extending a MIB is actually a software development
project. The MIB is not just a text file. It’s also a software
interface document to the embedded firmware of your SNMP device.
Making additions to the MIB requires rewriting the device firmware.
This is a serious project, involving writing code, debugging it, and
undergoing a thorough quality assurance process.
-----

So am I correct that vendors like Cisco or Juniper develop their MIB
files which are downloadable from their web-sites tightly with their
MIB support on SNMP agents? In other words MIB files and MIB support
on SNMP agents is closely correlated?

thanks,
Martin
Stuart Kendrick
2015-07-08 17:47:29 UTC
Yes, I understand the relationship between SNMP agents & MIB files in the way you and DPS describe below.

Rephrasing using my words:

- Manufacturer decides to support, say, monitoring fan state. Let's take Cisco as an example

- Cisco writes the CISCO-ENVMON-MIB file, including an Object Value which returns the state of a given fan:

ciscoEnvMonFanState OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX CiscoEnvMonState
MAX-ACCESS read-only
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION
"The current state of the fan being instrumented."
::= { ciscoEnvMonFanStatusEntry 3 }

- Developers use the definitions in that MIB file to write code. I suspect that implementations vary widely -- one possible way to do this:
(1) In the Cisco IOS, include support for talking to the hardware in order to report on fan state
(2) In the Cisco CLI, include support for some sort of 'show fan state' command
(3) In the Cisco SNMP agent, include support for querying fan state

- Voila: an operating system which supports reporting on fan state from both the CLI and the SNMP agent.

--sk

Martin T

Martin T
2015-07-09 09:07:48 UTC
One more question- how properly vendors usually keep the MIB files and
MIB support on SNMP agent in correlation? I mean are there sometimes
features listed in MIB files which actually are not present in device
SNMP agent and the other way around?

thanks,
Martin
Martin T
2015-07-09 12:43:06 UTC
Thanks! By "imagine that developers instruct their SNMP agent to read
the MIB file(s) and to implement what they see there" you mean that
they probably use mib2c or similar utility to convert MIB files into C
source code for SNMP agent?

thanks,
Martin
I would imagine that developers instruct their SNMP agent to read the MIB
file(s) and to implement what they see there. But I'm speculating.
One could certainly imagine that there is room for disconnects here! I have
occasionally encountered agents which return values to a query which aren't
defined in the MIB file, for example. [e.g. the MIB file says that a query
to a variable can return integers from 1-5, each mapped to some state ...
but an agent returns '0' or '6'.]
--sk
Stuart Kendrick
2015-07-09 12:45:03 UTC
I don't know -- you are roaming past my expertise level here. I look forward to hearing from someone more knowledgeable about this process.

--sk

Jurkiewicz Jean-Marc
2015-07-09 13:00:00 UTC
Hi Stuart,

How should "mib2c or equivalent" analyse the MIB file and generate C code for instance returning the amount of octet that went through the interface with index 3 that is the Fast Ethernet 0 of a Switch, if there is no counter implemented on that interface ???

Mib2c should then be also able to write the "driver" of the FasteEthetnet 0 interface in order to include the requested driver ... but therefore should know that the index 3 refers to the Fast Ethernet 0 on that switch, but in the router next to that switch the same index 3 can refer to an ISDN dialer or an X25 Port or ...

Again please let us know what you understand by "agent"

Best regards

JMJ

Stuart Kendrick
2015-07-09 12:28:05 UTC

Jurkiewicz Jean-Marc
2015-07-09 12:48:04 UTC
Hi Martin

1) What do you understand by SNMP agent ? Do you mean the management station ?

2) To answer your question :

Please have a look to : http://jmjmon.eu/LaSupervisionDeReseau/SNMP_Mon-V010.pdf page 14+

RFCs and IAB Status are the answer to your question

If you talk about private MIBs, than the answer to your question is "it depends..."

La RFC 1156 défini les groupes suivants :

 System
 Interfaces
 Address Translation
 IP
 ICMP
 TCP
 UDP
 EGP

Ainsi que la méthode d’implémentation suivante : « Si la sémantique d’un groupe s’applique à une implémentation, alors elle doit implémenter tous les objets de ce groupe».

En d’autres termes, toutes les branches ne sont pas explorables : Le groupe EGP ne doit être implémenté que si le protocole EGP est implémenté. (Cela n’a aucun sens de chercher [de fournir] des informations sur quelque chose qui n’existe pas).

--------------------------------------

This means for instance that " The Group EGP has not to be implemented if the EGP protocol is not implemented".. It make no sense to request ( per SNMP) information about something that in not implemented.

Martin T

Jurkiewicz Jean-Marc
2015-07-09 14:43:09 UTC

Let's imagine you are designing a new equipment that connects to a TCI/IP network.
You want it to :
a) be manageable per SNMP
b) provide specific information per SNMP

There are two points of view to consider :

1[a]) The IETF /IAB in the RFCs 1052, 1065 and 1066 ( both last replaced by 1156) defines already what are the information you have to provide at minimum
A ce jour, il est attendu que la RFC 1052 soit respectée par la mise en œuvre des :
RFC 1155 (SMI ex-1065), RFC 1156 (MIB ex 1066) et RFC 1157 (SNMP ex- 1098)

So you already -before you start your design- know what you may be asked for - per SNMP- by a NMS. These are the standards MIBs
How you organize / code that "agent, is up to you, but you knoe how an interrogation (request) will come, and what you will have to responds to that request ( integer, strings, little endian, big-endian, 16 bit counter...)

2[b]) now, you think that it may be important to provide some other additional information, let say the speed in rpm of the 2nd fan of you equipment, as well as the clock speed of the CPU of your equipment, and the water level at sensor 1 ( Your equipment measures water level on each of its 8 sensors) .

There is no MIBs that exist for your equipment that will help the software designers to automatically generates C code for that ( no mib2c possibility)
You will have to the define, under .iso.org.dod.internet.private.MYCOMPANY, how you organize the tree that will give access to these information.
As you will use standards ( SNMP, ASN.1,...) any NMS will be able to ask you equipment for the water lever at sensor 1, without having to wait that the NMS software provider will adapt its software to your equipment.
As you will publish you MIBs, anybody will understand that the -to an SNMPwalk or SNMPGET- answer.1.3.6.1.4.1.789.2.1=1023 means that the water level at .iso.org.dod.internet.private.MYCOMPANY.waterlevel.sensor1 is 10.23cm, as you have defined the tree and the format (including units) of the returned value.

Hope this helps

Best regards
JMJ

by SNMP agent I mean a piece of software running on network device which replies to SNMP GET, GETNEXT and GETBULK requests sent from NMS.

Martin
Post by Jurkiewicz Jean-Marc
Hi Martin
1) What do you understand by SNMP agent ? Do you mean the management
station ?
http://jmjmon.eu/LaSupervisionDeReseau/SNMP_Mon-V010.pdf page 14+
RFCs and IAB Status are the answer to your question
If you talk about private MIBs, than the answer to your question is
"it depends..."
Ø System
Ø Interfaces
Ø Address Translation
Ø IP
Ø ICMP
Ø TCP
Ø UDP
Ø EGP
Robson, Alan
2015-07-09 15:55:45 UTC
I have had a little experience building subagents with mib2c.

mib2c will provide a skeleton of an agent/subagent and it's up to the developer to fill in the implementation-specific details (from your example, mib2c will make a stub function for you to fill in with a real implementation of a function to read the fan state, mib2c has no way to know how to read fan status but if you write a function to read the fan status, mib2c will put in place everything that is needed to arrange for that function to be called when a manager issues an SNMPGET on the OID for that information).

These are things done by a developer, not automatically by the agent.

Also, the agent does not have to be created by mib2c, you can just write one, it may be as easy as writing a script and telling snmpd to run it at the appropriate time.

Alan

I don't know -- you are roaming past my expertise level here. I look forward to hearing from someone more knowledgeable about this process.--sk-----Original Message-----From: Martin T [mailto:***@gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2015 5:43 AMTo: Stuart KendrickCc: net-snmp-***@lists.sourceforge.netSubject: Re: correlation of MIB files and MIB support on SNMP agentsThanks! By "imagine that developers instruct their SNMP agent to read the MIB file(s) and to implement what they see there" you mean that they probably use mib2c or similar utility to convert MIB files into C source code for SNMP agent?thanks,MartinOn 7/9/15, Stuart Kendrick <***@alleninstitute.org> wrote:> I would imagine that developers instruct their SNMP agent to read the > MIB> file(s) and to implement what they see there. But I'm speculating.>> One could certainly imagine that there is room for disconnects here! > I have occasionally encountered agents which return values to a query > which aren't defined in the MIB file, for example. [e.g. the MIB file > says that a query to a variable can return integers from 1-5, each mapped to some state ...> but an agent returns '0' or '6'.]>> --sk>> -----Original Message-----> From: Martin T [mailto:***@gmail.com]> Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2015 2:08 AM> To: Stuart Kendrick> Cc: net-snmp-***@lists.sourceforge.net> Subject: Re: correlation of MIB files and MIB support on SNMP agents>> One more question- how properly vendors usually keep the MIB files and > MIB support on SNMP agent in correlation? I mean are there sometimes > features listed in MIB files which actually are not present in device > SNMP agent and the other way around?>>> thanks,> Martin>> On 7/9/15, Martin T <***@gmail.com> wrote:>> Thanks for excellent answer!>>>>>> Martin>>>> On 7/8/15, Stuart Kendrick <***@alleninstitute.org> wrote:>>> Yes, I understand the relationship between SNMP agents & MIB files >>> in the way you and DPS describe below.>>>>>> Rephrasing using my words:>>>>>> - Manufacturer decides to support, say, monitoring fan state. Let's >>> take Cisco as an example>>>>>> - Cisco writes the CISCO-ENVMON-MIB file, including an Object Value >>> which returns the state of a given fan:>>>>>> ciscoEnvMonFanState OBJECT-TYPE>>> SYNTAX CiscoEnvMonState>>> MAX-ACCESS read-only>>> STATUS current>>> DESCRIPTION>>> "The current state of the fan being instrumented.">>> ::= { ciscoEnvMonFanStatusEntry 3 }>>>>>> - Developers use the definitions in that MIB file to write code. I >>> suspect that implementations vary widely -- one possible way to do>>> this:>>> (1) In the Cisco IOS, include support for talking to the hardware in >>> order to report on fan state>>> (2) In the Cisco CLI, include support for some sort of 'show fan state'>>> command>>> (3) In the Cisco SNMP agent, include support for querying fan state>>>>>> - Voila: an operating system which supports reporting on fan state >>> from both the CLI and the SNMP agent.>>>>>> --sk>>>>>> -----Original Message----->>> From: Martin T [mailto:***@gmail.com]>>> Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 8:30 AM>>> To: net-snmp-***@lists.sourceforge.net>>> Subject: correlation of MIB files and MIB support on SNMP agents>>>>>> Hi,>>>>>> I read a product pamphlet from DPS Telecom where they had following >>> Q&A>>> section:>>>>>> ----->>> Q: I want to use a device feature that isn’t described in the MIB.>>> What can I do?>>>>>> A: You can ask the vendor to extend the MIB to include this feature.>>> DPS Telecom has extended its MIB to support client needs. But you >>> need to understand that extending a MIB is actually a software >>> development project.>>> The MIB is not just a text file. It’s also a software interface >>> document to the embedded firmware of your SNMP device.>>> Making additions to the MIB requires rewriting the device firmware.>>> This is a serious project, involving writing code, debugging it, and >>> undergoing a thorough quality assurance process.>>> ----->>>>>> So am I correct that vendors like Cisco or Juniper develop their MIB >>> files which are downloadable from their web-sites tightly with their >>> MIB support on SNMP agents? In other words MIB files and MIB support >>> on SNMP agents is closely correlated?>>>>>>>>> thanks,>>> Martin>>>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------->>> ->>> --------- Don't Limit Your Business. Reach for the Cloud.>>> GigeNET's Cloud Solutions provide you with the tools and support >>> that you need to offload your IT needs and focus on growing your business.>>> Configured For All Businesses. Start Your Cloud Today.>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.gigenetcloud.com_&d=AwIGaQ&c=jcv3orpCsv7C4ly8-ubDob57ycZ4jvhoYZNDBA06fPk&r=xN9AnMDZvO_QvUZQZcoply6WFqSJuNcpv-dDu2fA4Ac&m=0iZT6Jw1ya3Rv1wOK6aroblC39YJQJs-zXnUqWMyFYc&s=zktFRWVIVO-9bH400nliVkZrdzxJE3kPJoPT47v2Plw&e= >>> _______________________________________________>>> Net-snmp-users mailing list>>> Net-snmp-***@lists.sourceforge.net>>> Please see the following page to unsubscribe or change other options:>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.sourceforge.net_lists_listinfo_net-2Dsnmp-2Dusers&d=AwIGaQ&c=jcv3orpCsv7C4ly8-ubDob57ycZ4jvhoYZNDBA06fPk&r=xN9AnMDZvO_QvUZQZcoply6WFqSJuNcpv-dDu2fA4Ac&m=0iZT6Jw1ya3Rv1wOK6aroblC39YJQJs-zXnUqWMyFYc&s=7K6piHgqtmtto2Z5muxf8Rl3FopSbVT1YgAItkyzZJA&e= >>>>>>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin T