How does "proc" in snmpd.conf match the process
Martin T
2015-12-10 16:13:05 UTC

according to manual page of snmpd.conf, the "proc NAME" monitors the
number of processes called NAME (as reported by " -acx") running on
the local system. How to understand this "-acx" part? For example I
have a bash script backup.sh running as daemon in system and snmpd
seems to detect this script by the name "backup.", i.e. I need to
configure "proc backup." while I assumed that it detects this
script by the name "backup" or "backup.sh". How exactly does "proc" in
snmpd.conf match the process?

thanks,
Martin

Martin T
2015-12-10 23:43:54 UTC

if I check the fixproc Perl script in net-snmp-5.4.3 source tarball,
then looks like "proc" executes simply "ps -e" and CMD column of this
command is limited to 15 characters. The actual script name was not
"backup.sh", but "<vendorname>-backup.sh". So in short, "proc" matches
process by greping the output of "ps -e".

Martin
Hi,
Martin T
2015-12-11 09:55:21 UTC
Ulrich,

looks like snmpd "proc" option matches process by grepping the output
of "ps -e" which has 15 characters limitation.

regards,
Martin
Post by Martin T
Post by Martin T
Nachricht
Hi,
if I check the fixproc Perl script in net-snmp-5.4.3 source tarball,
then looks like "proc" executes simply "ps -e" and CMD column of this
command is limited to 15 characters. The actual script name was not
"backup.sh", but "<vendorname>-backup.sh". So in short, "proc" matches
process by greping the output of "ps -e".
/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon
/usr/sbin/snmpd -r -A -LF d /var/log/net-snmpd.log -p /var/run/snmpd.pid
Maybe that helps.
Post by Martin T
Martin
Hi,