msgAuthoritativeEngineBoots is Zero in SNMPv3 traps
Pushpa Thimmaiah
2015-01-16 07:04:36 UTC
Hi Folks,

Could you please let me know why both msgAuthoritativeEngineBoots
msgAuthoritativeEngineTime will be NULL in incoming SNMPv3 trap PDU.

Agent:
1) engineBoots 34 (according to snmp persistent file
/var/lib/snmp/snmpd.conf)
2) Sending SNMPv3 traps to NMS using command 'snmptrap'
3) Net-snmp version is 5.6.1

NMS:
1) Using silverCreek to capture incoming traps and it says
"Error! Received engine time 0 , SilverCreek's notion of the enginetime
9840"
2) I have verified incoming trap PDU using wireshark and noticed that value
of msgAuthoritativeEngineBoots and msgAuthoritativeEngineTime is zero (0)

According to my knowledge msgAuthoritativeEngineBoots should have
engineBoots value i.e 0x22 (decimal 34) .
Why both msgAuthoritativeEngineBoots msgAuthoritativeEngineTime is NULL.
Am I missing anything here?

Thanks,
Pushpa.T
Bill Fenner
2015-01-16 18:25:46 UTC
On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 2:04 AM, Pushpa Thimmaiah <
Post by Pushpa Thimmaiah
Hi Folks,
Could you please let me know why both msgAuthoritativeEngineBoots
msgAuthoritativeEngineTime will be NULL in incoming SNMPv3 trap PDU.
1) engineBoots 34 (according to snmp persistent file
/var/lib/snmp/snmpd.conf)
2) Sending SNMPv3 traps to NMS using command 'snmptrap'
'snmptrap' is independent of the agent, it's simply standalone. Use
'agentxtrap' (and configure agentx in your master agent) to send a trap
through the agent.

Bill
Pushpa Thimmaiah
2015-01-17 04:25:34 UTC
Hi Bill Fenner,

Thank you. Is there any way to get engineboot and enginetime values? I
can pass them to command 'snmptrap' via option '-Z'.

Thanks and Regards,
Pushpa.T