message too old : usm error
Vijendra Agarwal (vijagarw)
2015-09-10 19:20:57 UTC
Hi All,

I have a setup where two machine are available. Each machine execute snmpd process on it and having snmpd.conf file. On one machine I ran snmptrapd process to receive trap from other machine.

I configure snmpv3 user and engine_id and all passphrase detail. The details are same for both the machines.

I configure trapsess entry in snmpd.conf file of the machine as below

trapsess -e <engine_id> -v 3 -u <username> -a MD5 -A <authpassphrase> -x DES -X <privpassphrase> -l authpriv <hostname>

In snmptrapd.conf I configure as below

authUser log,execute,net <snmpv3_user>

When I restart snmpd process on one machine it generates clear traps for the resource it monitors but when I check the logs at snmptrapd site, I see the error as

Message too old.

I search on internet for this and found that when snmpd generate snmpv3 trap it adds boot and engine time to the packet. This time get reset to 0 if the process gets restarted but I did not get the answer/help about how to solve the issue of "Message too old".

Can anybody please help me out about what configuration changes I need to make to resolve the above error Or give some pointer to look at the details for solving the issue?

Thanks

Vijendra.
s***@gmail.com
2015-10-19 14:00:00 UTC
Hi Vijendra,

Were you able to resolve the 'message too old' error?
If yes, please share the steps/config changes for the same.
We are facing the same issue.

Best Regards,
Surendra