SNMP V3 Query
s***@gmail.com
2016-12-23 16:00:08 UTC
I'm trying to run an SNMP V3 query against an F5 HW applicance. I can run snmp V1 & V2 walks against the target host. However, I have some concerns about the V3 commands I'm running:

First if I run the following query, the SNMP walk works:

snmpwalk -v3 -l authPriv -u snmpadmin -a SHA -A ***@pns2 -x AES -X G00ds3cur1ty 10.14.225.245:161 .1

Now if I run the following command, the walk fails:

# snmpwalk -v3 -l authPriv -u snmpadmin -a SHA -A MyPassword -x AES -X My2Password 10.14.225.245:161 system
SNMPv2-MIB::system = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID

So the difference with the two commands is OID specification. When I state "system", it fails. When I specify .1, it works.

So my first question is, can I assume SNMP works if I get a positive response from the first query (using .1 for the OID)?

Second question, part of the response back is the following:

SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.3375.2.1.1.2.25.9.0 = Counter64: 0

Note is states "SNMPv2". I'm running an SNMP V3 command, yet it states V2 in the output. Is that normal? Is it really V2, or is it V3?

TIA.
k***@gmail.com
2017-02-16 19:54:03 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
# snmpwalk -v3 -l authPriv -u snmpadmin -a SHA -A MyPassword -x AES -X My2Password 10.14.225.245:161 system
SNMPv2-MIB::system = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID
So the difference with the two commands is OID specification. When I state "system", it fails. When I specify .1, it works.
So my first question is, can I assume SNMP works if I get a positive response from the first query (using .1 for the OID)?
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.3375.2.1.1.2.25.9.0 = Counter64: 0
Note is states "SNMPv2". I'm running an SNMP V3 command, yet it states V2 in the output. Is that normal? Is it really V2, or is it V3?
TIA.
Your second command uses different authentication credentials. Have you confirmed that these other credentials also when you use numeric OID?

Coming to the response showing SNMPv2-***. It is the name of the MIB where the enterprise MIB is located. That has nothing to do with polling over SNMP v1, v2 or v3. You need to study the basics of snmp first.