Antw: net-snmp authentication algorithm
Ulrich Windl
2016-01-19 08:44:02 UTC
Hello,
I found that net-snmp v3 supports sha or md5 as authentication algorithm. I
know that sha-1 is cracked. What version of sha is used in net-snmp? Also,
Hi!

What makes you think "SHA-1 is cracked"? I guess 99.9999% of all secrets are easier to "crack" than SHA-1 or MD5, meaning: SHA-256 doesn't make a poor secret any better.
md5 is not reliable to attacks, is any ways to use stronger methods for
authentication?
AFAIK, the RFC only knows about MD5 and SHA-1. So anything else is pretty much non-standard anyway, I'm afarid.

Regards,
Ulrich
Bye, Igor
Igor Sobinov