Error im manual page snmpd.conf(5) at "storageUseNFS"
Ulrich Windl
2015-07-28 13:39:49 UTC
Hi!

I discovered this error in themanual page for snmpd.conf(5) in net-snmp-5.4.2.
Maybe the bug is fixed already, but I'll let you know:

First the bug results in a sentence stopping in the middle:
---
storageUseNFS [1|2]
controls how NFS and NFS-like file systems should be reported
in
the hrStorageTable. as 'Network Disks' (1) or 'Fixed Disks'
(2)
Historically, the Net-SNMP agent has reported such file
systems
as 'Fixed Disks', and this is still the default behaviour.
Set-
ting this directive to '1' reports such file systems
as<<<<<<<<<<HERE BUG!!!

Process Monitoring
The hrSWRun group of the Host Resources MIB provides information
about
individual processes running on the local system. The prTable of
the
---

The source of the manual page looks rather OK:
---
.IP "storageUseNFS [1|2]"
controls how NFS and NFS-like file systems should be reported
in the hrStorageTable.
as 'Network Disks' (1) or 'Fixed Disks' (2)
Historically, the Net-SNMP agent has reported such file systems
as 'Fixed Disks', and this is still the default behaviour.
Setting this directive to '1' reports such file systems as
'Network Disks', as required by the Host Resources MIB.
.SS Process Monitoring
The \fChrSWRun\fR group of the Host Resources MIB provides
information about individual processes running on the local system.
---

The problem seems to be in groff(7):
---
The roff language is line-oriented. There are only two kinds of
lines,
control lines and text lines. The control lines start with a
control
character, by default a period “.” or a single quote “'”;
all other
lines are text lines.
---

So 'Network Disks' is interpreted as a command, I suspect.

Regards,
Ulrich

Stuart Henderson
2015-07-29 09:42:02 UTC
Post by Ulrich Windl
I discovered this error in themanual page for snmpd.conf(5) in net-snmp-5.4.2.
Looks ok in 5.7.3.

I don't understand why anyone would still use a 7-year-old
version of a network daemon that runs as root..